Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if my child is going to be late or absent?
Please call the academy as soon as possible on 01279 866280

What happens if my child misses an exam?
If your child is sitting a public exam and they are absent, they will not be able to sit it at a later date. Therefore, it is important they attend all of their examinations. For further information, see the Student Exam Handbook in the ‘Academy Learning’ section of our website – Exams

How do I apply for my child to have free school meals?
To be eligible for Free School Meals you must be receiving one of the following:

  • Income support or income-based Job Seekers Allowance;
  • Child Tax Credit with an annual taxable income of less than £16,190 (provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit)
  • Pension Guarantee Credit;
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance;
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.

To apply for free schools meals please complete the online application form from the Essex County Council website:

How can I pay for my child’s school meals?
All payments are taken via SchoolMoney. The dedicated page for this is:

How do I apply for help with home to school transport?
Essex County Council will provide free home to school transport for secondary-aged children to the designated or nearest school for their home address if they meet the qualifying distance criteria of three miles from home to school.
To apply, please complete the online application form from the Essex County Council website:

How do I find out information about my child’s detention (the reason, for how long and when)?
Please call the academy on 01279 866280 to find out this information. Ask to speak to the Guidance Manager for you child’s House.

My child needs to leave school early for an appointment. How do I contact them?
Please do not contact them by their personal mobile. If you call the academy on 01279 866280, someone will assist you and pass on the message.

I want my child to leave Mark Hall Academy. What do I do?
You need to apply for a new school through the local authority; your child must continue to attend Mark Hall Academy until they have been put on the roll of their new school.

My child is leaving Mark Hall Academy to go abroad permanently. What do I do?
We need to see the original travel tickets for your child. We will also need this in writing, addressed to the attendance officer. This should also state your child’s last day at Mark Hall Academy.

We are going on a family holiday during term time. What should I do?
The Principal does not usually authorise holidays during term time and unauthorised holiday will go down on your child’s attendance record as an unauthorised mark and you may be issued with a fixed penalty notice. Therefore, please call the academy first to discuss this.

How does the School use the ‘Pupil Premium’?
For more information regarding the ‘Pupil Premium’ please take the time to read the documents under ‘Academy Life’ – Pupil Premium